[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 11:29:57 IST 2010

On 6 Efn 2010, at 10:22, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2010, at 20:27, Eddie Climo wrote:
>
>> 'Smart' quotes: some further thoughts.
>>
>> Let us recall the small problem mentioned recently of words
>> beginning with an apostrophe, and one's software automatically
>> substituting a '6' quote mark for the correct '9' one.
>
> Oh,  it is a genuine problem. And one encounters it very regularly
> in Scottish Gaelic, and quite regularly in Irish poetry. Having
> typeset books in both, I (as a professional) know what it is like to
> get in a manuscript from an ordinary writer of either. It's a mess
> we don't need to saddle the Cornish Revival with (and which is easy
> to achieve, with a simple rule "Avoid a space before or after an
> apostrophe").

But only a tiny problem, surely. To eliminate all occurrences of <
space + 6 > in an MS, simply do a global search-&-replace with < space
+ 9 >. There, that was easy, wasn't it?!

On 6 Efn 2010, at 10:22, Michael Everson wrote:
> In KS when particles like this are dropped (as they often are in LC)
> we just drop them. "Me a vydn ow tos" = "Me a vydn tos". We don't
> ask LC users to write "Me a vydn ’tos" or "Me a vydn ' tos".

I don't know where you learned your Cornish grammar from, but your
sources evidently offered forms unknown in the grammatical writings I
have by Jenner, Nance, Gendall, Smith, Pool, Brown and Williams.

Please parse "me a vydn ow tos" for me. I'm familiar with 'me a vydn
tos', of course, but I've never seen the construction with 'ow'
included. Could it be a future continuous of some sort?

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem