[Spellyans] An SWF glossary

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 21:11:39 IST 2010

On 6 Efn 2010, at 20:22, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2010, at 21:15, Eddie Climo wrote:
>
>> On 6 Efn 2010, at 19:07, Michael Everson wrote:
>>> It is misleading, and prejudicial against /T forms, for the
>>> glossary to be presented the way that it is.
>>
>> It might help improve the credibility and status of the /T forms of
>> the SWF if more publishers were to support it, if only in parallel
>> with any productions in their more favoured orthography.
>
> I don't follow this logic. I publish with Traditional orthographic
> forms. Those are /T forms, whether or not the orthography I publish
> with differs from the SWF in any other particulars.

I'm sure you don't wish to follow where this logic leads, but KS is
not the SWF/T. That orthography was the focus of my posting, not KS.

> I don't publish in the SWF because as someone who admires and
> respects the Cornish language, I choose not to use particular
> spellings which are considered incorrect, linguistically.

As I said, if you decline to publish in the SWF/T, you can hardly
complain if the SWF/KK sweeps the board.

>> If Authenticist publishers fail to provide such support, they can
>> hardly complain if the /KK form of the SF sweeps the board, so to
>> speak.
>
> This doesn't speak to the issue at hand. The issue is a Partnership-
> funded publication (not any of my publications) for which it was
> decided a-priori that it would not contain SWF/T forms.

On the contrary, it very much 'speaks to the issue at hand'; namely,
the lack of support of SWF/T in Bock's egregiously /KK glossary, as
well as the lack of support for it by other Cornish publishers.

> Furthermore, as you know, I worked with Agan Tavas to produce an SWF/
> T and SWF/K form of Skeul an Tavas.

As the saying has it, one swallow does not a summer make. An
elementary course book is very laudable, but what else have you done
for the SWF/T since then? Do you have anything else planned for
publication in the SWF/T? If not, you can hardly complain if SWF/K
sweeps the board, can you?

It's all very well holding your breath until 2013 in the optimistic
expectation that KS will take over as the SWF Mark II, doubtless
through sheer force of linguistical excellence. But, unless someone
starts publishing numerous, good-quality books in the SWF/T, the SWF/
KK would have a clear shot at dominating this space. Through lack of
competition, their publications —few in number, and poor in quality
though they might be— would be dominant.

We cannot let them win by default!

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem