[Spellyans] An SWF glossary

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Jun 7 08:56:24 IST 2010

I don't wish to write: 'kegin' for 'kegyn'; or 'melin' (mill) for
'melyn' and then 'melyn' (yellow) for 'melen'.  Or, how about
'benyn' (woman) but 'benenes' (women).  How confusing can one get?  I
think those changes were wholly unnecessary (and I'm not particularly
interested in the alleged etymologies - just contemporary Cornish).  I
certainly don't wish to write the excruciating 'diwettha' for
'dewetha'.  BUT - I'm prepared to do so to make sure we're still in
the game come 2013 (although, admittedly, the sick-bag comes out every
now and again).

I'd use KS (especially KS1 which I actually preferred) like a shot,
but KS isn't part of the SWF deal.  For 3 years, we have to play that
game, and don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Like you, Michael, I think that the decision (whose?) to omit
traditional graphs from the glossary is despicable, but if ever there
was a clear demonstration of intent, then that's it.  It's a warning
we need to take very seriously indeed.  We ignore it at our peril.

Craig

PS.  I don't actually have a huge problem with final <-i>; nor <oe> in
certain words (e.g. <goen>, 'downland', or <goeles>, 'lower' - in
place-name history, those are the commonest spellings to be found.
The latter, in lenited form, is traditionally pronounced
"woolus" (short oo, as in 'book').  However, <oe> in words like
<whoer>, 'sister' is totally wrong.

On 7 Efn 2010, at 08:10, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> Indeed it is, Dan.
>
> Craig
>

> On 7 Efn 2010, at 08:04, Daniel Prohaska wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>> According to the list of emendations published by Maga “lord” is
>> officially spelt <arludh> in the SWF.
>> Dan

Craig Weatherhill