[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Tue Jun 8 16:29:29 IST 2010

The main purpose of the SWF was for schools and public life.
Therefore the main demand for SWF should be from local government
officials and parents of school children.  In spite of the fact that
the SWF has had a lot of publicity and the Partnership has appointed
an education officer, (job share), demand for it at present has not
materialised.

In fact the trad. graph version of Agan Tavas's course book is
outselling the main graph version.

In the Camborne class, a democratic society, we have voted to continue
teaching Unified.  New students don't seem to mind this and they are
not demanding SWF.  If they did perhaps we would change to SWF (t).

We hope soon to be offering internally assessed exams under the
Languages Ladder for Unified.  Once we are quit of Language Board
exams we are free to correct some of the more serious faults with
Unified and I hope that the Camborne group will vote in favour of
making a few improvements.  Not as many as some people would like, no
doubt.

Unified should not be looked at from a totally linguistic point of
view.  Nance's original aim of using an orthography based on
historical Cornish at its zenith, simply standardising out some
irregularities, is still a valid one and will remain an attractive one
to future generations who have put some thought into which form of
Cornish they are going to learn.  Therefore Christian's opinion that
Unified will only last until the current users die out could well be
mistaken.

On 8 Efn 2010, at 06:59, A. J. Trim wrote:

> Craig,
>
> OK. No problem.
>

> Regards,
>
> Andrew J. Trim