[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 17:52:11 IST 2010

On 8 Efn 2010, at 16:29, Ray Chubb wrote:

> Unified should not be looked at from a totally linguistic point of
> view.

Agreed, but UC can stand up to such scrutiny. The group of people who
collaborated on designing UC were fine linguists who crafted well.
Moreover, their hearts were in the right place: not for them the
factional back-stabbing we've seen far too much of over the last
quarter century.

> Nance's original aim of using an orthography based on historical
> Cornish at its zenith, simply standardising out some irregularities,
> is still a valid one and will remain an attractive one to future
> generations who have put some thought into which form of Cornish
> they are going to learn.

Indeed. Unlike some forms of Revived Cornish, UC has stood the test of
time, and given Kernewegoryon over 80 years of valuable service. It
is, in my opinion, the classic form of revived Middle Cornish, and is
as valid now as it was when launched all those years ago. Its
designers have earned an honoured place in the history of our
language, unlike some of today's wannabes.

Moreover, it has a massive literature that has built up over that
period, and the reality is that —despite the efforts of modern
bowdlerisers and plagiarists in the KKesva, and elsewhere— most of it
will never be republished in any other orthography. Anyone who aspires
to 'Tota Cornicitas' cannot simply wish that corpus away.

In the face of this large corpus of UC, Kernewegoryon now and in the
years to come will be obliged (at the very least) to read UC, even if
they choose not to write it.

Perhaps the same might be said by future generations (post 2013) about
the substantial (and growing corpus) of KS literature that is
currently being created.

> Therefore Christian's opinion that Unified will only last until the
> current users die out could well be mistaken.

I very much suspect it is mistaken. I, for one, love UC and will
continue to study and write in it.

Gwren ny perthy cof a un poynt a skyans a glewas Jowan Chy an Horth
y'n whethel mur y vry:

> "Kemer wyth na wreta gasa an forth coth rak an forth noweth."

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem