[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Jun 8 21:13:49 IST 2010

The early editions of Old Cornwall (Journal of the Federation of Old
Cornwall Societies), published from 1925 onwards and twice or three
times a year have any number of original works in Cornish by Nance,
and others of that time, that few people have seen.  Also, a lot of
research notes which provide fascinating information.  I'm lucky
enough to have all those editions.  The first four or five decades of
Old Cornwall are absolute treasure houses of every facet of Cornish
culture and history.  More recently, though (with a few notable
exceptions), the content tends to be "Our Day out at the Eden Project".

Those early revival writings should never be written off as "out of
date" - they are very precious indeed.

Craig

On 8 Efn 2010, at 17:52, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 8 Efn 2010, at 16:29, Ray Chubb wrote:
>
>> Unified should not be looked at from a totally linguistic point of
>> view.
>
> Agreed, but UC can stand up to such scrutiny. The group of people
> who collaborated on designing UC were fine linguists who crafted
> well. Moreover, their hearts were in the right place: not for them
> the factional back-stabbing we've seen far too much of over the last
> quarter century.
>
>> Nance's original aim of using an orthography based on historical
>> Cornish at its zenith, simply standardising out some
>> irregularities, is still a valid one and will remain an attractive
>> one to future generations who have put some thought into which form
>> of Cornish they are going to learn.
>
> Indeed. Unlike some forms of Revived Cornish, UC has stood the test
> of time, and given Kernewegoryon over 80 years of valuable service.
> It is, in my opinion, the classic form of revived Middle Cornish,
> and is as valid now as it was when launched all those years ago. Its
> designers have earned an honoured place in the history of our
> language, unlike some of today's wannabes.
>
> Moreover, it has a massive literature that has built up over that
> period, and the reality is that —despite the efforts of modern
> bowdlerisers and plagiarists in the KKesva, and elsewhere— most of
> it will never be republished in any other orthography. Anyone who
> aspires to 'Tota Cornicitas' cannot simply wish that corpus away.
>
> In the face of this large corpus of UC, Kernewegoryon now and in the
> years to come will be obliged (at the very least) to read UC, even
> if they choose not to write it.
>
> Perhaps the same might be said by future generations (post 2013)
> about the substantial (and growing corpus) of KS literature that is
> currently being created.
>
>> Therefore Christian's opinion that Unified will only last until the
>> current users die out could well be mistaken.
>
> I very much suspect it is mistaken. I, for one, love UC and will
> continue to study and write in it.
>
> Gwren ny perthy cof a un poynt a skyans a glewas Jowan Chy an Horth
> y'n whethel mur y vry:
>
>> "Kemer wyth na wreta gasa an forth coth rak an forth noweth."
>

> Eddie Foirbeis Climo
> Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
> Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem

Craig Weatherhill