[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jun 9 09:04:53 IST 2010

That's a very valid point, Ray.  Everyone acknowledge that there were
inherent faults within UC (given the limited material Nance had to
work with, that's hardly a surprise) which needed attention.  UCR
addressed that problem, with subtle, gentle adjustments that didn't
compromise the overall integrity of UC.  It is a shame that the SWF
process got in the way of its progress because I was very happy with
UCR.  I was very comfortable with it and, having been more used to LC,
that's quite a testament to UCR.  I wrote the first edition of
"Cornish Place-Names and Language" in RLC, but rewrote the second
edition in UCR (cheekily referring to it as "standard Cornish", as a
kick-back against the claims being made by the Kesva).  I found the
adjustment very easy.

Craig

On 9 Efn 2010, at 08:17, Ray Chubb wrote:

> On 8 Efn 2010, at 22:30, Christian Semmens wrote:
>
>> Don't get me wrong, I like UC, I like its aesthetic, I also
>> appreciate the warm place it has in many hearts, but its days are
>> passed as the primary vehicle for written Cornish. It served its
>> purpose fairly well, but its downfall came with the rigidity of
>> those who failed to adapt when its inadequacies became too much for
>> many to bear. It had a brief chance in the 90s with UCR, but again
>> the chance was lost with the failure to adapt, with users sticking
>> doggedly to the original ossified form.
>
> Much of the reason for this was the fact that the Cornish Language
> Board would not allow their exams to be taken in UCR.  If the
> Language Board feared UCR so much that tells us that it has got
> something worth hanging on to.
>
> Ray Chubb
>
> Portreth
> Kernow