[Spellyans] An SWF glossary & Unified versus SWF

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jun 9 09:11:11 IST 2010

I should add that the discovery and examination of 'Bewnans Ke'
underlined how good Nance (and Williams) were/are.  Nance had taken an
educated guess at certain words which weren't within the available
corpus and the occurrence of several of those words in BK proved him
right.  Also, the additional information contained in BK slotted into
UCR so well and so easily that it shows how very good that was, too.

Craig

On 9 Efn 2010, at 09:04, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> That's a very valid point, Ray.  Everyone acknowledge that there
> were inherent faults within UC (given the limited material Nance had
> to work with, that's hardly a surprise) which needed attention.  UCR
> addressed that problem, with subtle, gentle adjustments that didn't
> compromise the overall integrity of UC.  It is a shame that the SWF
> process got in the way of its progress because I was very happy with
> UCR.  I was very comfortable with it and, having been more used to
> LC, that's quite a testament to UCR.  I wrote the first edition of
> "Cornish Place-Names and Language" in RLC, but rewrote the second
> edition in UCR (cheekily referring to it as "standard Cornish", as a
> kick-back against the claims being made by the Kesva).  I found the
> adjustment very easy.
>
> Craig
>

> On 9 Efn 2010, at 08:17, Ray Chubb wrote:
>

>> On 8 Efn 2010, at 22:30, Christian Semmens wrote:
>>
>>> Don't get me wrong, I like UC, I like its aesthetic, I also
>>> appreciate the warm place it has in many hearts, but its days are
>>> passed as the primary vehicle for written Cornish. It served its
>>> purpose fairly well, but its downfall came with the rigidity of
>>> those who failed to adapt when its inadequacies became too much
>>> for many to bear. It had a brief chance in the 90s with UCR, but
>>> again the chance was lost with the failure to adapt, with users
>>> sticking doggedly to the original ossified form.
>>
>> Much of the reason for this was the fact that the Cornish Language
>> Board would not allow their exams to be taken in UCR.  If the
>> Language Board feared UCR so much that tells us that it has got
>> something worth hanging on to.
>>
>> Ray Chubb
>>
>> Portreth
>> Kernow