[Spellyans] UCR-Best orthography, richest vocabulary?

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 9 20:36:40 IST 2010

Craig,

It is heartening to see that the newest manuscript discovery seems to have
vindicated the main ideas of the 'Nancean' synthesists, if one may so put
it!
It makes me doubt if learning the largely abandoned UCR is a waste of time
after all! UCR has the virtue of remaining very close to UC so making its
literary corpus quite accessible and also enriching the vocabulary base,
quite apart from evidently being an accurate reflection of the traditional
texts. And it seems to dovetail reasonably easily with LC from what Craig
says here.
What do 'second generation' speakers think of UCR as opposed to UC? I seem
to remember the Chubb kids were raised with Cornish UC. Are they or any
others like them still active speakers? Or is there a phenomenon of second
generation 'fall out'? I know Welsh and Gaelic kids who, for whatever
reasons, have sadly dropped the language once they reach adulthood.
Finally, how healthy is LC? We hear little from its proponents- apart from
Jan!
And what does 'pylarluth' mean, for goodness sake?! Can't find it in any of
my vocabularies, very frustrating!

Ewan.