[Spellyans] UCR-Best orthography, richest vocabulary?

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu Jun 10 15:44:04 IST 2010

On 9 Efn 2010, at 20:36, ewan wilson wrote:

> Craig,
>
> It is heartening to see that the newest manuscript discovery seems
> to have vindicated the main ideas of the 'Nancean' synthesists, if
> one may so put it!
> It makes me doubt if learning the largely abandoned UCR is a waste
> of time after all! UCR has the virtue of remaining very close to UC
> so making its literary corpus quite accessible and also enriching
> the vocabulary base, quite apart from evidently being an accurate
> reflection of the traditional texts. And it seems to dovetail
> reasonably easily with LC from what Craig says here.
> What do 'second generation' speakers think of UCR as opposed to UC?
> I seem to remember the Chubb kids were raised with Cornish UC.

I still use only Cornish with my sons on a daily basis.  They're  not
much for the reading and writing side of things but they have adopted
forms like 'anedhans' in place of 'anedha' and can read UCR without
any problems when they have to.

> Are they or any others like them still active speakers? Or is there
> a phenomenon of second generation 'fall out'?

Yes, there does seem to be.  I suppose I was more of a disciplinarian
than a lot of parents of my generation and this applied to the
language.  I would use only Cornish and if they ever did try to use
English with me, which I think was very rare, they would get very
little response.  I remember talking to a reporter from one of the
Sunday papers and he seemed to think it was cruel to make the boys
tell me how much their pocket money was in Cornish before they could
have it.  Apart from this we did and do have a lot of fun with and in
the language.  I never pretend to know more than I actually do.

> I know Welsh and Gaelic kids who, for whatever reasons, have sadly
> dropped the language once they reach adulthood.
> Finally, how healthy is LC? We hear little from its proponents-
> apart from Jan!
> And what does 'pylarluth' mean, for goodness sake?! Can't find it in
> any of my vocabularies, very frustrating!

The clue is in the story; it means 'Rag Lord'.