[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 17 23:41:22 IST 2010

Dear All,

First, sorry if this ( or any!) point of grammar is 'off topic' here; please forgive, as it's easy to forget, especially when a decidedly tricky point of syntax pops up!
A possible distinction between a 'smple' and 'periphrastic' tense usage in the cae of 'statives' v otherwise had not actually occured to me. I don't recall it ever addressed in any of the standard grammars I've read and perhaps my knowledge of both Welsh and Scottish Gaelic caused me just to assume it'd work similarly in the other Celtic tongues, including Cornish! It's a relief to see the Texts actually seem to bear out the case that Cornish IS with her Welsh and Scottish counterparts in this case!
Am I right therefore in gathering that 'py lyw' is considered definite, the verb should be interrogative and so we should use 'usy'? I'm still not entirely clear!
If the verb wasn't 'stative' we'd still need an answer.
Alternative sentence:-
'Py pronter yma/usy/us ow pregoth?'

Ewan.