[Spellyans] 'teacher'

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 18 19:03:12 IST 2010

But how do you know that Lhuyd invented  'deskadzher'? He might have been told  what the word for 'teacher'  was!  The other problem I have is re the word for 'four' m. You give peswar/pajer in your dictionary. 'Peswar' equates with 'pedwar' in Welsh and we know that Cornish 's' is often Welsh 'd'. So did the original Brythonic word for 'four' have a 'd' or an 's' or neither? Did it go from 'd' to 's' and then to 'j'?

The other question I'd like to ask during this lull in the orthography discussion  is actually more important, I think.   It's about indirect questions. Would you say we are free to use 'mar'  for 'if = whether' in Cornish? In Welsh the use of 'os' (conditional 'if') for 'whether' is quite common, probably as the result of the influence of English. But it is frowned on by many as 'bad' Welsh. The right way to introduce an indirect question is with the particle 'a' plus the actual question. In speech the 'a' is omitted.  I find I come across both in Cornish. In the 'Resurrexio' I have only seen 'mar' used. In 'Jooan Chei a Horr'  ( para.39)  it is not. So what do we do? Choose either?

Chris