[Spellyans] 'teacher'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jun 18 19:53:58 IST 2010

On 18 Jun 2010, at 19:37, nicholas williams wrote:

> Studhyer is the word for a 'learner'. Deskadzher is an invention of Lhuyd's.
> We don't want a conlang, do we?

I am happy not poking the Revival in the eye unnecessarily. ;-)

"Descador", whether an 18th-century coinage or not, is in use and everyone is happy with it. "Descor" has some currency as 'learner' and if it gets glossed as 'learner, teacher' that is of course no harm. Most people seem to gloss "studhyor" as 'student'. It seems to me that these words are stable and shuffling them... well it's just not necessary.

I don't think this is the same sort of thing as "arhans" and "mona" for instance. (I do agree that *"descajor" is unappealing.)