[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 18 21:45:44 IST 2010

Thanks, Nicholas, for claryfying these distinctions.
Maybe it's just I'm not paying close enough attention to the traditional grammars I have, but a gripe of mine is that in the matter of interrogative pronouns/adjectives and relatives, they do not pay sufficient attention to the the fact that words like 'what' 'which' in English can be either pronominal or adjectival in use and that this can potentially affect the choice of word ( or phrase) used in the target language.
Equally we can distinguish 'who' and 'whom' in English but handling these case differences are all but ignored in the grammars- even if it is only to observe that Cornish doesn't distinguish them! We are just left to work that out which is a shade unsatisfactory.
On the question of 'lyw' v 'color/colorys' ( which like many Cornish words from English borrowings is strangely euphonic !) is your own guiding principle usually to prefer the Late borrowed item, or only if the 'purer' term has dropped away?

Ewan.