[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 21:45:05 IST 2010

I attempt as far as possible to use the language of Tregear, BM, and
CW with additions from Rowe and Nicholas Boson.
If a word is attested in Old Cornish or PA but not later, I use the
later word.
That is why, for example, I use rom 'room' not stevel (which is
attested once only in OCV).
My preference is for the language of the texts rather than for some
reCelticised fantasy.

You are right of course about pronouns/adjectives. One sometimes, for
example, sees oll anedha 'all of them' instead of the more
Cornish y oll. With no native speakers to imitate, writing and
speaking Cornish is difficult. That is why, in my view, constantly
reading
the surviving texts is so important. Since Tregear's homilies are by
far the longest prose text and indeed the longest text of any kind,
they are, it seems to me, of crucial importance. Tregear knew Cornish
far better than we, and if he used borrowings, then perhaps there is
nothing wrong with our doing likewise.

Nicholas