[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 22 08:13:52 IST 2010

Thankyou for your reply, Michael. The problem with writing "ow" and saying
you should pronounce it schwa is that most people, on seeing "ow"
immediately pronounce it "oh", the old UC pronounciation. KK, UCR, RLC,
Lhuyd, KS and  SWF on the other hand all describe this diphthong as starting
from a short form of the vowel in English 'for', 'law' etc gliding to 'w'.
The English diphthong in "oh", "boat" etc. starts from schwa and glides to
'w'. Does this matter? It gets worse when the English "oh" pronunciation is
transferred to Cornish words ending in "o" which does not represent a
diphthong at all. But I speak from a Welsh perspective. Here, the use of the
English sound system when speaking Welsh or just used in place names, can be
considered something of an insult.

Chris