[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Jun 22 09:41:58 IST 2010

I've even heard people pronounce it as "ow", as though they've stubbed
their toe!  I always pronounce final -ow, in plurals and in words like
Kernow, as "au" (something like the 'ou' in the American pronunciation
of 'thought', or between 'au' and 'ah').  I pronounce the particle ow
as a shorter version of that.  Kernow I pronounce (roughly): "kair'-
nau" (although I've heard 'ker'noe', without a pronounced R and with
an awful Received English oe)

Craig

On 22 Efn 2010, at 09:27, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2010, at 08:13, Chris Parkinson wrote:
>
>> Thankyou for your reply, Michael. The problem with writing "ow" and
>> saying you should pronounce it schwa is that most people, on seeing
>> "ow" immediately pronounce it "oh", the old UC pronounciation.
>
> You are making a claim about what "most people" do.
>
>> KK, UCR, RLC, Lhuyd, KS and  SWF on the other hand all describe
>> this diphthong as starting from a short form of the vowel in
>> English 'for', 'law' etc gliding to 'w'.
>
> I write it as [oʊ]~[ə]. I do not write it as [ɔʊ]
>
>> The English diphthong in "oh", "boat" etc. starts from schwa and
>> glides to 'w'.
>
> In some dialects, it is [əʊ], yes.
>
>> Does this matter?
>
> No, because the rule to be taught is that the particle is rarely if
> ever stressed, and it should usually be pronounced [ə].
>
>> It gets worse when the English "oh" pronunciation is transferred to
>> Cornish words ending in "o" which does not represent a diphthong at
>> all. But I speak from a Welsh perspective. Here, the use of the
>> English sound system when speaking Welsh or just used in place
>> names, can be considered something of an insult.
>
> Diphthongization of stressed vowels in Cornish is the one aspect of
> Revivalist pronunciation which needs serious attention.

Craig Weatherhill