[Spellyans] Spelling and linguistics - Yes

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 22 14:36:15 IST 2010

Thanks again, Michael, for your comments and corrections.

First, yes, I made an unsubstantiated  claim about what 'most people' do. It
was based on watching 'Pellwolok an Gernewegva'  where it merely seemed that
a lot of people pronounce Cornish "ow" as "oh", whether using it as a verbal
particle or as the possessive adjective "my".  Sorry!

Second, I note how you write Cornish "ow" phonetically. The English sound in
"law" etc. is fairly close to Cardinal vowel 'o' and can be useful in
teaching learners to avoid putting "oh" at the end of Welsh words.

Third, the description I gave of the English "oh" is what Gimson gives for
the RP sound, and he says there are variants even within RP. People living
further North  refer to RP as 'Southern British
Standard' so calling this a dialect is ok. But it's the dominant dialect
whereas Northern and Welsh pronunciations et. al. are described as regional.

Fourth, you say that people have to learn to prnounce "ow" as schwa. This
would apply largely to "ow" = "my"  as well, as it is frequently unstressed.
This is why RLC prefers to use "a" , if using anything, which you do not
like. But would you use it if publishing something in RLC, or in
representing the spoken language in fiction?

Chris