[Spellyans] vocabulary

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:05:46 IST 2010

This is not an either/or issue, however. You can accept the principle
of tota Cornicitas AND try, as Nicholas does, to use words the way
native Cornish speakers did. (Now if we started following around Ray's
sons and Gwenno Saunders and the other handful of native speakers of
the revival, recording how they use vocabulary, that would be another
good kind of attestation -- but their numbers are small, and everybody
else is a second language user, whose linguistic choices are fallible,
to say the least.)

To recommend, for example, that we use 'rom' for everyday purposes,
but 'stevel' in place-names and perhaps in poetry (as when rhyme and
metre militate in its favour) is not to throw either word out of the
lexicon. It's to use them more nearly as native Cornish speakers did.
English works the same. Is isle not an English word? But would you
ever say that New Caledonia is one of the larger isles in the Pacific?
Of course not -- you would say islands. Isle of Man, yes; Robben Isle,
no.

I teach English as a Second Language in Turkey, and I can tell you
that students often just fixate on the oddest word, decide that it's
their favourite, and use it in the most outlandish of ways. (One
student of mine declared that he was a fan of Jennifer Lopez, said she
was quite attractive, and then mentioned that she was a "mixed-breed".
"You wouldn't use that word," I told him, wincing. "Hmm," he answers;
"half-caste?") Conversely, when I (and my students) discover that
Turkish and English share a word that's substantially the same (kebab,
naïve, nuance, hajj, sociology, etc), it's invariably greeted with a
frisson of relief. One less item to memorize.

The Tregear Homilies, for example, have heaps of English loanwords.
But the grammar is purely Cornish. They reflect authentic Cornish
prose. And if you take the texts as a whole, they are still
incomprehensible to English monoglots. If they're not good Cornish,
what are they?

~~Owen