[Spellyans] vocabulary

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jun 23 08:17:38 IST 2010

Perhaps I should make my view plainer than I have.  I accept that
Cornish contains loan words from all periods and several languages;
however, I'd rather not see them as first options. I would far rather
use (for, say, valley) nans, stras, tenow, etc., than valy.  In fact,
until Nicholas pointed it out, I didn't even know that valy existed in
Cornish texts with that meaning.  I'd only ever seen the word (a
different word, of course) in the exclamation "Tety valy!".  Staying
with 'valley', the genuine Cornish choices give a greater scope for
accuracy:  nans "river valley";  stras "flat-bottomed valley"; tenow
(tnow) "tributary valley", etc.

(As an aside, the stable yard at Bostraze [bos + stras] is at the head
of a generally narrow, steep-sided valley but, at this point, the
valley head proper widens into a wide and very flat-bottomed bowl
surrounded by hills - a remarkable feature of the landscape and a
stunningly good example of a 'stras'.  A good map with contours shows
it very clearly).

The loan words, though, can often work this way, too.  For 'table' we
have the choices of bord (more accurately a table-top, and, of course,
a loan-word), moos and tabel (another loan-word attested in the place-
name Table Maen and its various spellings - the stone still exists at
Mayon, Sennen - named after it - and is the site of an Arthurian
legend and a doomy prophecy of Merlin).

Craig

Craig Weatherhill