[Spellyans] vocabulary

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jun 23 08:44:30 IST 2010

Off-topic, but a little story about the 'stras' at Bostraze.  The flat
bottom of the valley head is the infamous Bostraze bog - as lethal as
any of the more famous Dartmoor mires and, like some of them, has a
secret way across it.  The infamous Bog Inn, an unlicensed alehouse or
'wink' mentioned by Hamilton Jenkin, still stands there as a pair of
roofless ruins (house and barn).

Some years ago, a heavily pregnant Shire mare was caught in the bog
and was saved by several of us going into the bog on double safety
lines to get ropes around her to pull her out - by that time only her
head was showing.  We got her out after several hours (she was almost
a ton in weight), traumatised, filthy, but otherwise uninjured.  You
can imagine what those of of us who went into the bog looked like,
too, especially as we had to submerge to get the ropes under the mare,
and I can tell you (with a shudder) that the suction of that bog had
to be experienced to be believed!  Not to mention the smell. (There's
a similar bog between Bosporthennis and Bodrifty, close to Ventonegga
- these wonderful names! - which apparently swallowed a U.S World War
II tank!).  A fair few drops of cider were consumed after that
operation, I can tell you.

The mare recovered and a few weeks later, the foal was born.  It grew
into a stunningly beautiful, honey-natured grey Shire-Thoroughbred
mare nearly 18 hands tall (had I the money, I would have bought her on
the spot).  Her name?

Tavarn Devrak!

Craig

Craig Weatherhill