[Spellyans] vocabulary

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jun 23 09:57:37 IST 2010

To be fair to Nicholas, he did write, in the preface to his dictionary:

'This is very much a pioneering work and some, perhaps much, of the
new vocabulary presented below will not find favour with Cornish
speakers.  This is only to be expected and I would very much like to
hear from any user of this dictionary who has alternative suggestions'.

Did anyone take up that offer?

Craig

On 23 Efn 2010, at 09:15, Ray Chubb wrote:

> A thread of this discussion which has not been considered is the
> basis of Neil Kennedy's criticism of Nicholas's English-Cornish
> dictionary.
>
> Neil suggested that Nicholas had gone too far in trying to find a
> suitable word for every single word of English when in fact Cornish
> words have a wide range of meanings.
>
> One way of avoiding inauthentic borrowings is to remember the wide
> range of meanings for some Cornish words.  Nance's 1938 Cornish-
> English dictionary is probably the best source for that range.
>
> With regard to trying to sanitise out words considered to be too
> English, we should always remember that we are attempting to revive
> Cornish which has a history reflecting the history of Cornwall.  Re-
> writing history at any level is unprofessional and can sometimes be
> sinister.
>

> Ray Chubb
>
> Portreth
> Kernow