[Spellyans] vocabulary

Ceri Young rcr_young at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 13:35:03 IST 2010

Nicholas, I have to offer my sincerest apologies if any offense was taken from what I said, none was intended - but I'd noted in earlier posts that there were accusations of bias and prejudice in those who might wish to avoid what they might naturally regard as 'unnecessary' Anglicisms. I just happen to believe that the instincts to avoid such unnecessary Anglicisms are neither so sinister nor unnatural as has been implied (although I happily concede they're non-academic), irrespective of how recent the phenomenon of Celtic (or indeed Cornish) nationalism is. I simply felt the relatively hostile-sounding accusations of prejudice in such word selection was insensitive in itself - it isn't even necessarily indicative of Anglophobia, but simply of a national identity having been comprehended (if not imagined) as a counterpoint (and yes, in post-imperial times) to Englishness, and for it to be asserted (perfectly innocently) along those lines.

I don't believe offense has been intended in either direction here, but accusations of nationalist Anglophobia in mere word selection are surely unhelpful to Spellyans, or the wider Cornish Revival. People will naturally regard Cornishness as a counterpoint to Englishness, with no malace, ill will or snub intended - but as an assertion of individuation for its own sake. (The very sense of individuation which I suspect lies somewhere in the motivations of many Cornish people seeking to learn and help revive their national language.)

Dan, where I said 'Late Cornish Anglicisms' I really meant those which appeared later on, where earlier more authentically 'Cornish' alternatives are attested, sorry if that was vague, I appreciate and respect that there are some very ancient and to that extent more legitimate Anglicisms in Cornish.

Best wishes,
Ceri