[Spellyans] vocabulary

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 25 21:56:12 IST 2010

Re Tavarn Devrak,

I agree it is a splendid tale that deserves to be related in Cornish!
As for being reminiscent of something out of P. D. James - her feel for
place, as in East Anglia is frisson inducing!- it took me back to a
wonderful 'boys' own' adventure story I read away back in the late 60s as a
child. It was entitled 'The Black Bog Mystery' and Blyton-like involved two
teenage brothers holidaying at their Uncle's seaside vill, close to the
treacherous black bog, and full of dastardly gangsters, smuggling and wise
old rustics who could navigate around this perilous enviroment.
As a kid I remember being a bit sceptical such 'bubbling' sucking places
could exist but trips to Dartmoor subsequently cured me of that and this
story reinforces the truth. Thanks, Craig and Ken, even if a bit
'off-topic'!

Now, what's the Cornish for 'sucking pit'?!

Ewan.