[Spellyans] telling the time

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:31:40 GMT 2010

In his gerlevran Neil says Lhuyd uses ar glôh for o'clock but adds ear
(ur) is usual in UC.
This latter remark is certainly true. In Cornish Simplified Caradar has:

pyth yu an ur? un ur yu.

And in his afterword to Trystan hag Ysolt Talek writes:

Wosa cona y whrussa sevel orth mos dhe'n gwely bys yn un ur vyttyn.

I can find no example of clock time in traditional Cornish. Nor can I
find Lhuyd's ar glôh.

We can avoid the use of any word for 'hour' in expressions like hanter
wosa seyth 'half past seven', qwarter dhe naw 'quarter to nine', ugans
mynysen wosa dew 'twenty minutes past two' (though mynysen is
unattested in traditional Cornish). This seems to have been Caradar's