[Spellyans] Whedhlow Kernowek: Stories in Cornish

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Mar 13 20:05:27 GMT 2010

On 13 Mar 2010, at 19:15, Ray Chubb wrote:

> Members of this forum need to be aware that Agan Tavas and Spyrys a Gernow have disassociated themselves from this publication.

I ought point out that Agan Tavas and Spyrys a Gernow were not associated with the publication.

Evidently a number of members of Agan Tavas (or at least of the Agan Tavas committee) believe that the writings of Caradar ought only to be read in Unified Cornish. They are of course entitled to hold such a view. Some, apparently, hold it very strongly.

I do not understand the view, though I have tried to do so.

But I do not believe that Caradar's writings differ intrinsically from Jordan's or Lhuyd's or Jenner's; I do not believe that it was wrong or disrespectful to present an omnibus edition collecting the stories in an authentic post-UC orthography (UCR or KS) alongside a glossary for learners. And considering Caradar's own criticisms of UC, I don't think that he would have objected to it either. (Of course I cannot speak for him; but his criticisms do.)

The book has been prepared in good faith; Nicholas and I believe there is an audience for it. Those who would like to read it, will. Those who would not are not obliged to.