[Spellyans] chi v chy

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon May 3 09:19:32 IST 2010

The choice of 'chi' for the SWF has its critics, but I'm not sure that
the choice is such a bad thing.  For a start the progression chi >
chei (for the Late variant) is more smoothly attained than chy >
chei.  I thought that a check on the historical validity of chi might
be a useful exercise, so I did a count of historical forms of the
word, as a generic, in place-name history prior to 1750, and came up
with the following count:

CHI - 69 examples
CHY - 152
CHE - 24
CHUY - 2
CHIE - 3
CHOY - 1
CHEY - 1
CHEI - 2

CHY runs away with it, but 69 exx. of CHI does give this spelling firm
historical validity.