[Spellyans] chi v chy

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon May 3 13:49:14 IST 2010

On 3 May 2010, at 04:48, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> I certainly prefer <chy> (& ky, why, hy etc.), but since <chi> etc. do occur traditionally, I believe they are justified.

There is no justification for preferring them.

Thousands of homes throughout Cornwall are named CHY -- quite properly.

The rationale for -i in stressed monosyllables in the SWF is **NOT** that this is an attested form. It was so that programmatic shifts between SWF/RMC and SWF/RLC could be made. Unfortunately, the situation with monosyllables in final -i~-y is not as simplistic as that -- in fact, the SWF leaks here, and so the convention is not useful.