[Spellyans] chi v chy

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed May 5 17:45:57 IST 2010

It might be helpful, at this stage and while time is on our side, to
list what we believe are the flaws of SWF, and to address each one in
turn.  Although <chi> is not my preference, as I did point  out (and
as Dan has noticed), I do not consider it a flaw to be corrected.  It
is attested (albeit in a low minority of the total), and I can live
with it.  Others might not agree with that view.

I understand Michael's point that people have houses named in <chy>,
and the same spelling is to be commonly found on the modern map, but
the same applies to other place-name elements, too.  Are we to
recommend that <heyl> be respelt Hayle for the same reason?  Or <logh>
to become either <loe> or <looe>?

I look more at words such as <diwettha> for <dewetha>.  As almost
every Cornish speaker pronounces this word the same way, and has done
since UC was the only choice on offer, why the need for the changes
away from the traditional spelling?  I confess that I simply did not
see the point of this.  It was unnecessary and confusing for many.  I
can imagine people looking at the <tth> and wondering how on earth
they're supposed to pronounce it, then (whatever the answer) just
carrying on pronouncing the word as they always have.  Nor did I see
'yellow' to <melyn>.  Again, it just confuses.

Let's get organised, and get a list of genuine SWF flaws written up.

Craig

On 5 Me 2010, at 16:56, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Michael,
> You said: “There is no justification for preferring them.” Neither
> Craig, nor Andrew, nor I said that we preferred them. In fact said
> the exact opposite, that we preferred <chy, ky, why> etc. What Craig
> rather brought up though, was, that since <chi> and <ki> do occur
> traditionally, albeit much less frequently, they are to be
> considered traditional and correct. So, while preferring <chy, ky>
> there aren’t apparently grounds for rejecting <chi, ki> if this is
> the majority decision for the SWF.
> Dan

Craig Weatherhill