[Spellyans] chi v chy

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Wed May 5 23:47:37 IST 2010

I agree with Craig here.

Place names may be anglicised, and they may reflect archaic forms but I
believe that they contain evidence about the Cornish we wish to revive. It
is difficult to extract that evidence but it is there, and in my view it
must not be ignored.  Not only do place names tell us something of the
language but they also tell us something about the culture of the people who
coined the names and how they saw their world (or at least their little bit
of it.)

The traditional texts do not distinguish between the preposition <in> "in"
and the adverbial particle <yn>. Why should we make that distinction but not
make the distinction between "her" and "she", and between "we" and the
negative verbal particle?

I have a practical problem with <in> for "in": When you want to say "in
the", the expected forms would be <i'n> or <y'n>. In the first case, my word
processor always changes it to <I'n>. This can be turned off but it is very
annoying. I do have a solution: Use <yn> for "in" and <in> for "in the".

I like to use <yn-> for the adverbial particle, i.e. with a hyphen, though I
wouldn't have a problem with using <in-> for the adverbial particle.

I think that <y'n> should be reserved for the positive verbal particle with
the pronoun <'n> infixed. Caradar saw this problem, and he used <y-n-> for
this but folks didn't like so many hyphens.

I'm not sure about: "Other improvement proposals have a much greater chance
of  acceptance."  Several of those proposals involve the introduction of
diacritical marks. I think that these will be given a harder time than the
likes of when to use <i> instead of <y>.

Yes, 3 years is not long. KS will not be accepted in toto. The SWF should be
improved. People with other views will make their inputs too. I fear that
most of the comments will come after 2013. It would be good to avoid that.

I like the idea of a tangible list on the lines of "Problems with the SWF
and their Proposed Remediation".

There are just a few people on this forum. How can we get other people to
express their views? Can we publish the list widely? The more views we get
and from the more people, the easier it will be to rank the proposals
(because we will know more about what the reaction will be.)  At the moment,
we think we are right, and we discuss with people who (at least partly)
agree. That's not necessarily the real world.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim