[Spellyans] chi v chy

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu May 6 00:16:07 IST 2010

I won't go into great detail because it's late and sleep is greatly
needed.  Firstly Old Cornish is not a different language - simply an
earlier form of the language we now use, and which developed from it.
It still has much to offer, so let's not call it a different
language.  I remember the term 'tota Cornicitas' being mooted not too
long ago (and that has to include the place-name evidence, which I
have right here beside me.  It has to include ALL linguistic
evidence).  If that has changed, we need to know, and, if so, was
there a consensus view on that?

With regard to place-name evidence - the historic forms are as valid
as the textual ones and should be included in the same category.  I
have a firm view on that (in case you all hadn't noticed).  Reject
nothing without close scrutiny is my advice.

Michael says he's not clear what I'm saying as regards the 2103
review.  Just this:  list out the perceived faults of the SWF, then
put a proposal for improvement with each, so we can look, discuss and
come up with a clear programme for the review.

This is the track I'm referring to, and I do think that we have moved
away from it.  The 2013 review is the goal.  There ain't going to be
another one.  We lose sight of that at our peril (and the language's
peril, which is rather more to the point).  KS is, in my own view,
excellent.  Just look at the publications so far. However, several
traditional Cornish users don't accept it, and that's something else
we must think about.  We cannot afford to dismiss their stance - their
views are just as important as ours.

Sorry if I'm coming in a bit hard here, but we MUST focus.  I just
feel that we might be straying off course.

PS - I realise that my place-name evidence is not in the public domain
- it would take me until 2013 to make it so if I could spend all day,
every day, on it.  However, where it is of use in a particular
discussion, I will produce that evidence if relevant, as I have on
several occasions.  I just want to be sure that it isn't rejected out
of hand.