[Spellyans] chi v chy

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:16:42 IST 2010

And SWF has ki and chi because KK has. KK has them because Breton has.
So much of what is mistaken in the phonology of KK comes from the
assumption that Breton and Cornish were much closer than they were.
This view is nowhere discussed, let alone proved, it is merely
accepted.  This is also the reason for the absence of vocalic
alternation in KK. VA is absent from Breton.
The Bretonising of KK is not just in the matter of phonology, but also
of course, in spelling. K and Hw are calques on Breton K and C'hw.
The same unjustified rush to Bretonise Cornish is visible in the
vocabulary of the SWF recently circulated.
If one looks under "purse" one finds the word yalgh f., a borrowing
from Breton.
The Cornish for "purse" is actually pors, porsys:

aspyen gvas gans pors poys 'let us look for a fellow with a heavy
purse' BM 1877
ha the borse mes ath ascra 'and your purse out of your bosom' BM 1888
me a vyn changya porses 'I will change purses'  BM 1906
gedyogh dym quik y pors 'hand me over his purse quick' BM 2089.

Pors is not in the Partnership's vocabulary.

Nance himself often preferred poorly attested words or borrowed words
to items in the traditional language (enep rather than fâss, auan
rather than ryver, stevel rather than rom, kenedhel rather than
nacyon, etc.)
KK goes further still by assuming that Middle Cornish phonology was
virtually identical with Breton
and spelling the language accordingly. And then by adopting lexical
items holus bolus from Breton, e.g. cudyn 'problem', oberen 'job', etc.
The SWF maintains these non-traditional aspects of KK.
The Bretonisation of the lexicon is in my view wholly unacceptable.

KK uses (and indeed encourages) huni (trad. huny) to mean 'one', as
though it were similar in use to Breton hini.
It is not. Huny in Cornish is used after lies and pùb but one cannot
say *an huny brâs 'the big one', for example. This solecism is very
noticeable in parts of the Kesva's New Testament.

KK users also insist, apparently, on *traow "things" as well as
taclow. It is true that traou is attested twice in Lhuyd, but Lhuyd
was not a native speaker of the language. There can be no doubt that
*traow persists because traou is the usual plural of tra in Breton.
Similarly the plural of chy is treven. *Chiow is again a
Bretonisation. It cannot be Welsh, since the Welsh plural of ty
"house" is tai (< *tigesa).

The point is this. Cornish is not Breton, neither is it Welsh. It is a
distinct language with its own history, scribal tradition and
literature. Our chief source for the revived language must be the
remains of Cornish literature. We should also try to spell as far as
is consonant with a phonetic orthography as the language was spelt by
its native speakers.
Our idiom and vocabulary should derive from the texts, not from some
Geriadur Bras ar Yezh Brezhoneg. It is one thing to borrow from Welsh
and Breton when no word exists. It is another to prefer the unattested
borrowing to the attested item.

We now have six long texts: PA, Ordinalia, BM, Tregear, BK and CW and
some shorter ones, notably JCH, Nebbaz Gerriau and Kerew's portions of
the bible. To say nothing of the many words listed by Lhuyd and in
other places. We have quite enough to reconstruct the language of say
1550-1680, which is what KS seeks to do.

Spellings like chi, ki, hwi seem to me to smack of a conlang. I won't
use them.

Nicholas