[Spellyans] chi v chy

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu May 6 14:13:03 IST 2010

Of course not. The word ryver was borrowed into spoken Cornish by
native speakers of Cornish and was the word used by speakers of the
traditional language.
There is no evidence at all that yalgh, for example, was in use in the
spoken language. It was borrowed into Neo-Cornish by non-natives out
of sheer purism.
  My objection is to words borrowed from Breton for the express
purpose of avoiding a word in use in the texts. Cornish is full of
words from Latin and from Old English, though we often don't recognise
them as such, e.g. cùsca < quiesco; collel < cultellum; pronter <
primitir < presbyter;
nefra < næfre.

In fact the presence of such a common temporal adverb as nefra < næfre
in Cornish is an indication of how heavily influenced the language was
by English. In this respect it is wholly different from Breton. Breton
is useful for filling occasional gaps in our lexicon, but it should
not, in my view be used as the template for recasting Cornish entirely.

Nicholas