[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue May 18 19:00:02 IST 2010

Is there a need for diacritics in these words?  Stress differs, but
not pronunciation.  I'm thinking that when KS is somewhat under fire
for the number of diacritics, shouldn't we looking to limit or even
trim them?  I don't understand what is meant by 'mistaken smart
quotes' - for me 'gan, 'gas, 'ga, without diacritics, are perfectly
clear as they are, and follow from agan, agas, aga perfectly well and
logically.  Are we over-tinkering?

I won't do any service by not voicing concerns, but the introduction
of initial I for Y in some words makes me uncomfortable.  KS1 had to
be adjusted to cope with the limitations placed on it by the SWF, but
I feel that we've gone too far.  Overall, KS is fine BUT we mustn't
kid ourselves that it will replace the SWF in 3 years time.  It
won't.  It can't.  There is far too much opposition out there for that
ever to happen and, if we don't start publishing in SWF/T as well, the
move will be to dismiss it because no one is visibly using it. This
will then open the door for the return of KK to "correct" SWF/M.  I'm
having enough problems with the pressure to use SWF/M graphs in place-
names, and the apparent desire to sideline SWF/T as far as they're
able.  We fell for this sort of thing 25 years ago and we'd all be
bloody fools not to be aware of intentions now, and do what is
necessary to thwart them.  Publishing in KS alone won't do this.  KS
will most certainly inform the corrections to be undertaken in 2013,
and I feel that this aim is what we should be concentrating on.

Craig

On 18 Me 2010, at 18:21, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 18 Me 2010, at 11:05, nicholas williams wrote:
>
>> When writing the shortened form of agan 'our', agas 'your' and aga
>> 'their', doesn't KS write gàn, gàs and gà rather than 'gan, 'gas,
>> 'ga? The latter forms are likely to give rise to mistaken smart
>> quotes.
>
> Can this be true? I'm appalled to see that the diacritics are
> metastastising in KS.
>
> Thanks, but I'll stick to 'gan, 'gas and 'ga.
>
> By the way, I thought you rejected the argument that 'diacritics are
> TOO difficult for me to manage on my computer'. It seems, though,
> that you're quite happy about the (totally different?) argument,
> 'smart quotes are TOO difficult for me to manage on my computer'.
>
> Come on, chaps, get real and ditch this nonsense!
>
> Eddie Foirbeis Climo
> Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
> Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem

Craig Weatherhill