[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue May 18 21:21:01 IST 2010

On 18 May 2010, at 18:21, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 18 Me 2010, at 11:05, nicholas williams wrote:
>
>> When writing the shortened form of agan 'our', agas 'your' and aga 'their', doesn't KS write gàn, gàs and gà rather than 'gan, 'gas, 'ga? The latter forms are likely to give rise to mistaken smart quotes.
>
> Can this be true? I'm appalled to see that the diacritics are metastastising in KS.

That was true at least as far back as Revision 15 of KS1, June 2007.

> By the way, I thought you rejected the argument that 'diacritics are TOO difficult for me to manage on my computer'. It seems, though, that you're quite happy about the (totally different?) argument, 'smart quotes are TOO difficult for me to manage on my computer'.

Red herring. Smart quotes are often "handled" by software without your control. One enters diacritics intentionally.

> Come on, chaps, get real and ditch this nonsense!

I find nothing "nonsensical" about the typographic rules presented. I see that you object to gà, gàs, gàn, but that is very much an edge-case; typically these forms are only used in colloquial or rather Late varieties of Cornish, and would not typically arise for many speakers.

gà, gàs, and gàn apply the rule of marking an unexpectedly short vowel; there is nothing unusual about it.