[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 18 22:56:51 IST 2010

On 18 Me 2010, at 22:21, Craig Weatherhill wrote:
> Ah, yes, thank you.  My machine always converts an initial
> apostrophe to a 9, which I've always found to be a nuisance at best.

Actually, Craig, the initial < 9 > is just what is needed for an
initial apostrophe.

Sorry!

The answer to this imagined conundrum is actually quite simple, at
least for ordinary writing: go to the Preferences of your word
processor or text editor and switch OFF the ludicrously misnamed
'Smart' Quotes (they aren't really so 'Smart' after all).

For those who are typesetting Cornish text (rather than just text
chatting or emailing their friends (or unfriends) on the Web, the
answer is even simpler: if you can't handle the various types of
quotes, then you have no business trying to typeset Cornish. Time to

Of course, you'ld be ideally suited for typesetting Kebmyn (where none
of the traditional criteria apply!)

Michael Everson wrote:
> Red herring. Smart quotes are often "handled" by software without
> your control. One enters diacritics intentionally.

Rubbish! 'Smart quotes' are always handled by your software according
to the way the Preferences are set. If you have no more wit than to
let the software decide without your intervention, then you've no
grounds whatsoever for complaining when this self-styled 'Smart'
feature gets it wrong.

One enters 'smart' quotes intentionally, whether one knows it or not …
as you well know, Michael!

Eddie Climo