[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue May 18 23:41:27 IST 2010

On 18 May 2010, at 22:21, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> Ah, yes, thank you.  My machine always converts an initial apostrophe to a 9, which I've always found to be a nuisance at best.

You mean "converts an initial apostrophe to a 6".

And it will, and it should, since this is the expected behaviour for quotation marks, which are many many times more frequent than apostrophes in English and in Cornish. Orthographies which make use of initial apostrophes are just asking for trouble. It's avoidable, with sensible rules, so why not follow the sensible rules?