[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 19 10:46:52 IST 2010

On 18 May 2010, at 23:12, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 18 Me 2010, at 21:40, Michael Everson wrote:
>> As I said, this is nothing new. In order not to break the rules of quantity, KS1 suggested to write these as gàn, gàs, gà when shortened as stand-alone words. But shortening agan, agas, aga is relatively rare anyway.
>
> Was it really, and that long ago?

Yes. June 2007 if not before. And to be honest, I don't think we've ever written the shortened forms as stand-alone words in any of our publications. Perhaps if we did an edition in the RLC dialect we would need to.

> Of course, as you haven't provided us with the (often requested) interim draft spec of KS (despite repeated requests from many of us, Michael), you can hardly blame us poor polygolot "non-linguists" for failing to remember all these arbitrary decisions made by one or two on this list simply ages ago.

That particular feature was present in KS1, as I pointed out.

> When IS that draft KS spec coming? Or, at least, when is a response coming to the (seconded) request made on this a little while back?

Of course Skeul an Tavas (KS) is available, which gives abundant information about writing KS. A larger learner's grammar is in preparation, as is a short dictionary, as well as some texts large and small. A full and formal grammatical description would follow on after.

> Do note that, if still unanswered, this request for a draft KS spec will not simply go away.

Did I mention Skeul an Tavas (KS)? I think I did.