[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 19 14:00:09 IST 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 13:52, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> I don't think we need a grave accent to show lack of stress in the phrase. We don't do it for <dhe>, or the particle <a>,

Those are open syllables and very high-frequency words. There's no [ðeː] to conflict with [ðə] (leaving dheu [ðøː]~[ðeː] aside. We do mark â 'goes' however.

> why do it in the case of <wàr> and <gàn>.

Those are closed syllables. <wàr> [wɑɹ] 'on' contrasts with <war> [wæːɹ] 'aware', and <gàs> [ɡəz] 'your' contrasts with <gas> [ɡæːz] 'permits'.

> I don't mind the SWF spelling for the shortened <'gan>.

I don't mind applying rules consistently. However, the rules as proposed (and as implemented) are not about short forms of possessive pronouns. It would be great if that were not the focus of the discussion.