[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 19 16:29:25 IST 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 16:07, Ken MacKinnon wrote:

> A gowetha ker,
>
> A similar problem in Scottish Gaelic has reached a similar conclusion in GOC ( Gaelic Orthographic Conventions) - gam, gad, ga, gan, gur, gan, gam - i.e. no apostrophes, no diacritics.

Interesting that they have got rid of the apostrophes on those. Of course the diacritic issue does not arise because Scottish Gaelic does not have rules about predicting vowel length from the following consonant, as SWF and KS do. (That's why we mark them, regularly, as anomalous short vowels.)

Cheers,