[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 19 16:48:23 IST 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 16:39, janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> Type ANYTHING apart from a space before your apostrophe, then delete it, or put the space in after you've typed the apostrophe!

Or have a rule "don't put a space before or after an apostrophe" and then you don't have a problem.

> It's OK for all you Middle Cornish users - those of us who only use Late Cornish will have to learn Middle Cornish just so that we know where to put the apostrophes.

This is something that we took some care in thinking about. See my example:

'th erof vy -- this shows (unnecessarily) the deleted y in MC yth, and will attract the 6-shaped apostrophe.

th erof vy -- just looks odd with th by itself there. And it was never written that way, with a disembodied th.

th'erof vy -- links the bound morpheme with the verb, guarantees a good apostrophe. Good rule.