[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 19 18:54:38 IST 2010

On 19 Me 2010, at 17:17, nicholas williams wrote:
> Neither UC nor KK was accepted as the Single Written Form. Why?
> Because both were understood to be too imperfect.

Neither, of course, were UCR or KS or RLC accepted.

I doubt very much that the rejection of any of these five forms of
Revived (or, in one case, Fake) Cornish was to do with their alleged
lack of perfection. It had a lot more to do with politics than
linguistics, both in my opinion as well as in the expressed view of
the Commissioners themselves.

And I daresay it'll be politics in 2013, rather than straight
linguistics that will decide the outcome. Putting it another way, no
matter how 'perfect' KS2 is by 2013, if you antagonise enough Cornish
speakers and Cornish language groups, then it'll be largely rejected.

By the by, I recall that when George introduced KK back in the1980s,
he was convinced that it was so 'perfect' that it would completely
take over the Revival from UC. Of course, instead of sweeping the
board as he believed KK would, all it achieved was to split the
Revival right down the middle.

His hubris got what it deserved, but did the Revival immense damage in
the process. Will we learn from history, or are we doomed to repeat it
in 2013?

Eddie Climo