[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed May 19 19:11:07 IST 2010

This remains my concern, too, if I can only get people to listen, and
to see the big picture, instead of charging in to slap others down and
score points.  I'm beginning to wonder whether we have any meaningful
say in KS decision making, or whether the views of some of us are
considered at all.  I fear that some public relations revisions, and a
bit of respect, are also required if my support is to continue.

The flaws of KK were not the reason why it was not chosen: it was a
political decision and the Commissioners were quite clear on that in
their statement.  Eddie is right - it will again be politics, not
linguistic accuracy, that will take centre stage again in 2013.  The
latter will have rather more of a say than it did 2 years ago, but we
have to be aware of this.  Of course, the best and most thoroughly
researched form deserves to be the choice and the future.  Sadly, the
world seldom works that way.

Craig

On 19 Me 2010, at 18:54, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 19 Me 2010, at 17:17, nicholas williams wrote:
>> Neither UC nor KK was accepted as the Single Written Form. Why?
>> Because both were understood to be too imperfect.
>
> Neither, of course, were UCR or KS or RLC accepted.
>
> I doubt very much that the rejection of any of these five forms of
> Revived (or, in one case, Fake) Cornish was to do with their alleged
> lack of perfection. It had a lot more to do with politics than
> linguistics, both in my opinion as well as in the expressed view of
> the Commissioners themselves.
>
> And I daresay it'll be politics in 2013, rather than straight
> linguistics that will decide the outcome. Putting it another way, no
> matter how 'perfect' KS2 is by 2013, if you antagonise enough
> Cornish speakers and Cornish language groups, then it'll be largely
> rejected.
>
> By the by, I recall that when George introduced KK back in the1980s,
> he was convinced that it was so 'perfect' that it would completely
> take over the Revival from UC. Of course, instead of sweeping the
> board as he believed KK would, all it achieved was to split the
> Revival right down the middle.
>
> His hubris got what it deserved, but did the Revival immense damage
> in the process. Will we learn from history, or are we doomed to
> repeat it in 2013?
>
> Eddie Climo

Craig Weatherhill