[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Wed May 19 20:12:43 IST 2010

Are we expecting people to turn off AutoCorrect that converts <i> to< I> and
<i'n> to <I'n>, and possibly other unexpected things? Actually, MS Word 2007
has several settings that the user should control:

1)  Check spelling as you type (Too many spelling errors can crash your
program.)
2)  Use contextual spelling
3)  Check grammar with spelling
4)  Embed linguistic data
5)  Embed smart tags
6)  AutoFormat As You Type (This controls the "smart quotes".) -- or is it
AutoFormat (I'm not sure of the difference)?
7)  Detect language automatically
8)  Automatic hyphenation
9) AutoText (Quick Parts)

We are also asking people to type diacritical marks on an English system
(that's not specifically designed for them) -- and all with no spelling
checker.

I think that there are some technical challenges to writing Cornish.
We should make it as easy as we can. We should design an orthography that
has minimal effect. Where not possible, we need a simple macro to run to
make the appropriate settings and another to restore them.

Unfortunately, it's not just MS Word. There are other word processors and
publishing programs, and then there are programs like MS Excel plus a whole
lot more that are getting "clever" and not just reproducing the user input.
Modern programs like to "improve" the user input and make the assumption
that the language in use is known to the system.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim