[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 19 20:36:01 IST 2010

On 19 Me 2010, at 20:12, A. J. Trim wrote:
> Are we expecting people to turn off AutoCorrect that converts <i>
> to< I> and <i'n> to <I'n>, and possibly other unexpected things?

Good point, Andrew. Actually, there's a much simpler pair of answers,
depending on how 'typographically aware' one is:

a) The Typographically Illiterate:
This numerous species of Kernewegor doesn't know curly quotes from
straight ones. For them, the answer has to be: just hit the apostrophe
button on your keyboard, and…

b) The Typographically Savvy
…will rejoice that you have any idea at alL of how to use the
apostrophe, never mind whether it's a '6' or a '9' or a 'straight' one.
The Typo Savvy Kernewegor will know the keyboard shortcuts (in Windows
or MacOS or Linux or whatever) for each type of quote mark (6, 66, 9,
99, straight, double straight, single guillemet, double guillemet
etc.), and will use them where appropriate to over-ride the 'smart
quotes' option. Alternatively, s/he will know how to configure 'Smart
Quotes' so that they're best fitted to what's being typed.

So, there's absolutely no need for KS to add yet another diacritic to
the (already oversized!) menagerie of the brutes! To mix my metaphors,
the blighters have already multiplied far beyond necessity (but that's
a topic for a future thread).

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem