[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu May 20 00:00:45 IST 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 21:59, Eddie Climo wrote:

> No, Nicholas, Nance was a fine linguist,

He did not have scientific linguistic training (as we use the word "linguist" today) in the way which Jenner did. "Philologist" is a more accurate description for someone with the background that Nance had.  There is nothing wrong with philology. But it isn't the same as scientific linguistics.

> and his '1938' is the best dictionary ever created for Cornish.

His compiling a dictionary makes him a lexicographer, not a linguist.

> Nance, Jenner, Smith, Chirgwin, Hooper and many others of that generation — their place in the history of the Revival is secure.

It does not, however, confer infallibility upon them, and none of them, I believe, would be happy to be beatified by later generations. They all made mistakes (as did Jenner). Some of their mistakes are well known. It is right for us to point out the mistakes and offer corrections.

We today also make mistakes. One day those mistakes will also be well known. It will be right for future generations to point out the mistakes and offer corrections.

Thus, step by step, the Revival moves forward.

Hopefully, without rancour.