[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu May 20 20:45:32 IST 2010

On 20 May 2010, at 20:17, A. J. Trim wrote:

> Yes, I agree with almost all of this. It is simple, and it gives good results.

Thank you for saying so. You may have noticed that these are the principles we've been using in our publications already.

> We could omit the apostrophe in <therof>, etc. Those that care will know it's a contraction.

I think th'erof is kinder to RMC users, who would find it closer to yth esof than therof would be.

> In English, we have several words that have an apostrophe (like "don't") that dont really need one.

There is a difference between "cant" and "can't" and "wont" and "won't", though.

> The SWF (late) forms have too many apostrophes for my liking. The result looks very much more debased and corrupted than it really is. In reality, Cornish just evolved into the late forms - it didn't just fall apart, which is the false impression that the SWF orthography gives.

I tend to agree. We're preparing a publication in the Late dialect which -- I believe -- will show the text in a very positive light. It's an illustrated publication, so I am not sure when it will be ready, since it takes time to prepare the art....