[Spellyans] Rules for the apostrophe

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri May 21 09:07:53 IST 2010

On 21 May 2010, at 08:50, j.mills at email.com wrote:

> Since the apostrophe is not realised phonologically, it can be argued that we don't need it at all. I am inclined to keep use of the apostrophe to a minimum, particularly where Late Cornish forms are concerned. I prefer therof to th'erof.

I undertand your point, but as I said yesterday, I think that this makes the form much more obscure to RMC users. The form "th'erof" is easier for them to recognize as their "yth esof" than the form "therof" is. Indeed, "therof" might lead some to imagine that there was a "terof" root form or something...