[Spellyans] Cornish Orthography

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Sat May 29 21:32:29 IST 2010

Jan Wheg,

Yes, I can see where you're coming from as Late speaker. I think the grammar of Late ( as I've found it in Tavas A Ragadazow and the likes of Rod Lyons - I think!- and Kernewek Es ) is sufficiently distinct from both Unified and KK to demand, at the very least, greater concentration than would be the case in Unifieds dialogue or KK dialoge. And I imagine the pronunciation/grammar gap between KK and Unified -for all the mutual antipathy - wouldn't be quite such a leap.

I guess it helps to bear in mind that the one, standard English orthography must do the job of representing a far greater 'fractured' language, with several local accents 'realising it' and some of them virtually mutually incomprehensible: try listening to an Aberdonian in full, broad throttle! Even fellow Scots in the West struggle to know what's being said!
I think the difference for Cornish was very accurately highlighted some years ago by a very learned fellow who was writing from a sort of PostModernist/Sociological perspective in one of the Cornish Studies back in the 90s. Normally that'd immediately put me off but he spoke some sound common sense. Basically he seemed to be saying because Cornish is bereft of a pool of native speakers it is more subject to fraught orthographic argumentation - and arguments!

The sad thing for me is that so few of the academic Celticists are willing to accept Cornish( either traditional or revived) as a subject fit for study. I recall years ago that Glasgow University Celtic Dept at least covere every single one of the Celtic languages at Hons level. Cornish formed part of an option paper covering Breton and Cornish with the latter examining the traditional texts. It was taught by genial Welshman, the late Donald Howells.
It is sad to see how neglected these great Celtic texts have become- and also surely a bit silly to consider the Revival phenomenon with its rich body of literature and complex linguistic and social issues, as 'unworthy' of academic treatment! Yet some university departments study comic strips, forsooth!   Even places like Aberystwyth don't seem to cover it.

Personally, I do hope a SWF or KS will emerge, even if it means tweaking my grammar yet again!

Oll an gwella!

Ewan.