[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Sat May 29 22:06:57 IST 2010

Dear All,

I hope this is not too far off the narrow orthographic topic but I have always felt English to be a peculiarly rich language because it has such a diverse vocabulary base- Anglo-Saxon plus Latin and French borrowings.
It strikes me that one of the distinctive features of Cornish is that it too is replete in both 'native' Celtic terms as well as borrowings so we get alternatives such as that on the subject line!
Personally, I find that many of the items taken over from  the English and Norman French lend Cornish its own peculiar expressiveness that the 'purer' Celtic languages perhaps lack. However I am aware that fears for the language being swamped by forgein lexical items can understandably lead to a preferance for a purer lexical base.
Mind you,  the modern coinage 'pellgowser' and its associated verb sound so right I'd hate to lose it to bland old 'telephone'!!

And I do love the sound of  'flowrys', borrowing or not!!

Ewan.